I can’t believe it’s been over a year since we featured a coffee from Nicaragua in our lineup! It’s just been a while since I’ve seen a coffee from Nicaragua that really stood out from the crowd, but I’ve finally found a winner. This blend of Red and Yellow Catuai cultivars comes to us from Entizar Zalan. Her farm, Finca San Rafael, was founded only 5 years ago, but she’s hit the ground running and producing some world class specialty coffee.
This coffee falls squarely in a category we call “crowd pleasers”. There’s really something for most everyone here! It’s accessible, easy going, yet plenty flavorful without intensity. The beginning of the cup features zesty brightness in the form of ruby grapefruit along with gentle florality which we noted as orange blossom. The cup has excellent body and a luxuriously creamy texture along with pleasant sweetness. Flavors in our samples were well balanced and we noted mandarin oranges, amaretto, toffee, caramel and rich dark chocolate. This coffee is also very easy roasting and you can tailor the cup by roast level. Lighter roasts will accent the zesty acidity and florality while darker roasts amplify warm sweetness and chocolate tones.
Reminder! This coffee is raw, you must roast it before brewing
Arrival Date: January 12th, 2024. US Arrival: Fall 2023
Acidity & Brightness: Zesty brightness, slightly sweet
Balance & Finish: Balanced with a clean finish
Body & Texture: Full bodied, creamy texture
Flavors: Mandarin, ruby grapefruit, amaretto & dark chocolate
Grade: SHG, grown at 1300-1450 masl
Processing: Fully washed, depulped and immediately dried on raised screens in the sun
Grower: Entizar Zalan | Finca San Rafael
Region: Dipilto, Nueva Segovia, Nicaragua
Varieties: Red and Yellow Catuai
Recommended Roast Range: City+ to Full City+ (Light-medium to Medium-Dark)
Most folks will like this coffee best right at Full medium, which is after first crack ends but before second crack begins. Medium roasts will make for cups with excellent balance between acidity, sweetness, and body. As fans of vibrant cups, our preference was for a lighter roast, about midway through first crack. Lighter roasts will exhibit more citrus in the cup and even bring out a touch of florality which we noted in the form of orange blossom. Darker roasts will bring out more rounded sweetness in the cup as well as focus on chocolate and caramel tones along with a richer body.
De La Finca Coffee - "In the heart of Dipilto, Nueva Segovia, lies a testament to the dedication and passion for Nicaragua specialty green coffee, Finca San Rafael. Raised amidst the aroma of coffee, Entizar Zalan chose to redefine the family legacy by establishing her own exporting company focused on specialty coffees.
Entizar, driven by a passion for quality, established Finca San Rafael to redefine the coffee landscape. Her specialty green coffee beans, meticulously grown and processed in the fertile soils of Nicaragua, represent a commitment to excellence and sustainability.
Key Farm Features:
- Prime Location: Nestled in Dipilto, Nueva Segovia, Finca San Rafael benefits from an optimal climate that contributes to the exceptional quality of their beans.
- Varietal Richness: Explore the diverse range of coffee varieties cultivated at Finca San Rafael, each contributing to the unique and enticing flavor profiles of their green coffee beans.
- Sustainability Initiatives: Their commitment to the environment is evident in their eco-friendly agrotechniques, ensuring that every cup of coffee reflects dedication to responsible farming practices.
- Direct Relationships: Experience the beauty of direct relationships, De La Finca Coffee has a direct trade relationship with Entizar who share our values of transparency, honesty, and a passion for exceptional coffee.
- Community Impact: Join in making a difference in the surrounding community. Finca San Rafael strives to empower other local producers, enhance quality, and promote fair pricing for a sustainable coffee industry.
Entizar's dream of creating a transformative coffee farm has become a reality. With five years of dedicated effort, Finca San Rafael stands as a beacon of specialty green coffee excellence in Nicaragua.
Indulge in the finest Nicaraguan specialty green coffee beans at Finca San Rafael — where every cup tells a story of dedication, innovation, and community impact."